29 Jul, 2023
The Ultimate Guide To Road tripping in South Australia: 2022
Have you been hit with the traveling bug? Or perhaps you’re looking for a way to unwind from daily life. We know how demanding things can be, especially nowadays. With countries still in lockdown and travelling at a halt, you might be wondering where you’ll go or where you can go.
Sometimes when we look at travel we see it as something that should be done outside our own country. This causes us to miss all the hidden gems that are only a car ride away. Often they are right under our noses and we fail to either see them or perhaps we just don’t know that they are there.
Imagine yourself taking to the open road, the wind in your hair, nature as far as the eye can see and not a care in the world. Relaxing right? Perhaps you didn’t know it but a road trip can be just as amazing as flying to another country, especially if you’ve never heard of beautiful places like a pink lake, having dinner under a fig tree or even sleeping under the stars, our galaxy as visible as day.
Enter South Australia is a stunning place with all these spectacular places we just mentioned above and there are many more which we will keep adding for you guys. It’s so big and so vast that a single week of road trip wouldn’t even cover this beauty but we’ve comprised a guide to road tripping in South Australia that we thought are a must see, places that’ll leave you breathless and speechless.
Below we’ll answer some important questions that you might have. So let’s get into it.
Where will you stay?
Going on a road trip is really easy and can be very cheap too. You can take your car and book a place to sleep or you can simply hire a van with everything in it.
If you however decide to use your car and book a place then we’d recommend you try out YHA Australia or Airbnb.
- YHA Australia is a company that offers hostels all throughout Australia at a very reasonable price. The hostels are beautiful and can cater to singles, couples or even families. You get to pick and choose what you like. It’s as simple as going to their website, choosing where you’d like to stay, picking your room and then booking.
- Another wonderful place to find a place that’s right for you is through Airbnb. You can book anything, from a room to a house. Whatever fits your fancy. At Airbnb, you can find places within your budget that’ll cater to your needs. The booking process is also super easy. It’s as simple as choosing your location where you’ll be road tripping to, choosing a place, and then booking.
What will you eat?
Whether you like it or not, eating good food is one of the favourite things to do for a lot of us. Each place has a variety of foods to offer that’ll satisfy even the most pickiest of eaters. Food is something that can really speak volumes about a culture and South Australian foods are one of those that you just can never get enough of.
Here is a list of places that we recommend you must try in order to get the full South Australian experience.
- Sunset Food and Wine is a modern bistro that overlooks the magnificent South Australian Ocean. You really couldn’t go wrong with this one. It is located on Kangaroo Island, a mere 2-hour drive from Adelaide city. They have an array of fresh food that is made from only the best local ingredients. From different seafood dishes to desserts, cheese and local wine, these will all leave you satisfied and wanting more.
- The Enchanted Figtree is also on Kangaroo Island and the experience you’ll have at this place is truly like no other. The whole restaurant is literally the Figtree. You’ll feel like you’ve entered into a magical world and the magic doesn’t end there. Their food takes you on a magical journey, starting with Canapes and ending with a desert that has a fairy-tale touch to it. This place is a must on my list, a must you won’t regret.
Where Should You Go?
Now that we’ve covered two of the most important things in this South Australian road trip. Let’s move on to the most exciting part of this ultimate guide. Which places are a must-see, places that you definitely shouldn’t miss?
- PORT NOARLUNGA is one of the most stunning picturesque places that you’ll ever visit. If you love diving, swimming or just taking a stroll on the beach, Port Noarlunga offers just that. With clear blue waters and a reef teeming with life, you’re bound to have one of the best aquatic safaris in the state. This small seaside suburb is any traveler's paradise and has a lot to offer with its eateries and shops. Port Noarlunga is about a 32-minute drive from ADELAIDE.
- PINK LAKE, MENINGIE is a nice little town on the South-East side of Lake Albert with only a 90 minute drive from Adelaide. We know what you’re thinking. Why would you wanna visit a small town. Well there’s something that really attracts every tourist here and it’s the fact that this small town is home to a stunning pink lake. That’s right, a Pink Lake! This lake is definitely like no other and worth the trip. Travelers and Instagrammers alike flock to this lake for that one shot and to experience something one would think is beyond nature. This lake is however very natural and the colour is caused by halo bacteria and dunalialla salinai. Meningie is also home to a lot of National Parks that are worth exploring.
- RAPID BAY, FLEURIEU PENINSULA is one of those hidden gems that anyone and everyone needs to visit. This white sandy beach is hidden amongst brown towering cliffs. The waters are so clear and calm that you wouldn’t think you’re even in the ocean. This beach is every diver and snorkeler’s paradise, teeming with marine life to be seen. It’s only 90 minutes away from Adelaide and is waiting for you to discover it!
- Morialta Conservation Park has it all. Waterfalls, caves, fauna and flora. If you’re up for a bit of an adventure then Morialta is the place to be. Discover this park’s waterfalls, go hiking, sightseeing, bird watching or even rock climbing. We would suggest you do it all in order to get the full experience and to think all of this is right on your doorstep with a 22-minute drive from Adelaide. Channel your nature-esk self so to speak.
- Kangaroo Island is one of those places where you’d need at least a whole day or two in order to see everything. It’s a 3-hour drive from Adelaide but is well worth the trip. We know what you are thinking, “well what could be possibly there?” A heck of a ton of Kangaroos that’s what. Roos aren’t the only thing tho, there are beautiful azure beaches, open roads and cliffs that’ll give anyone an adrenaline rush if you get too close. Kangaroo Island has a few restaurants and also a few resorts that are worth seeing. The enchanted Figtree can be found here, check above to see what it is. Kangaroo Island is a must-visit place, who doesn’t wanna feed a Wallaby.
- Umpherston Sinkhole, Mount Gambier isn’t your average backyard garden. In fact, nothing about it is close to average. Imagine a huge sinkhole and there’s a garden in it. That’s exactly what Umpherston Sinkhole is. It’s a huge tourist attraction because of how out of the ordinary it is, it’s extremely beautiful and is a place worth making memories of. The depth of this garden is phenomenal and would wow anyone. Once a cave now turned garden is a little over 4-hour drive from Adelaide and is a must visit place for me.
- Adelaide Hills is a place for people who love wine and nature all in one. Sip on a glass of wine while you take in the colourful Mount Lofty Botanical Garden. From blue to red to yellow, this garden has every colour on the rainbow or try out some of the close-by restaurants that have food to satisfy even the pickiest eater. If you’re not into wine then that’s fine because Adelaide Hills has a string of wildlife parks to discover. Find the Koala bear that you’ve always dreamed of seeing or the platypus in Warrawong Sanctuary. This lovely experience is a 41-minute drive from Adelaide and will get rid of that awful city feeling you have.
So what are you waiting for? Go have an adventure and discover all the hidden gems that are but a road trip away. Also if you are intrested to learn about 16 Instagram-Worthy Spots in Adelaide That You Don’t Want to Miss- Read here.
For more travel advice or inspiration sign up to Holidaygrapher’s newsletter or find out why capturing memories with a professional will create an experience like no other.
Keen to find out more on Why You Should Hire A Professional Photography Service Platform Rather Than Individual Photographers